Sinterklaas is over. That means we can get our christmas on. I started things of with making my own little winter snow globe or jar to be specific!
To make a snow jar, get:
– An empty jar (if you don’t have one feel free to just eat your way to an empty jar).
– A figurine (or more) that will keep in the water. I used Schleich animals, I know they will keep cause Mini plays with them during bath time.
– Some extra props if you like, I used a tree.
– Glitter! don’t use a very fine type of glitter but go a little more chunky for a better effect.
– Water resistant glue
– Optional: Spray paint, I used it to get a little extra colour and create a bit of an ombre effect.
– Clean out your jar real good and remove the label and glue.
– If you want to use spray paint, now is the time to do it! Spray your lid and glass separately.
– Glue your figurine and extra props on to the inside of the lid.
– I also put a little glue on the horsey and rubbed some glitter in it for a permanent ‘snowy’ effect.
– Wait for the glue to dry (and be patient!)
– Boil some water and let it cool. I’ve read that boiled water will keep a little better.
– Poor the water into your jar all the way to the rim.
– Then put the lid on it, let the extra water overflow.
– Remove the lid again and dry it off.
-Put the glue on the inside of your lid and close the jar for real.
– Wait for the glue to dry properly before turning it over!
– You’re done.
Here are a few extra tips that I had to learn the hard way:
– Make sure to first ‘test’ whether your figurine will fit in de jar by placing it on the lid obviously it can’t be any bigger.
– A tree like the one I used is great but make sure it is colourfast. I used a green tree (like the one you see on the right) and first gave it a good wash to drain it of all colour, you can also bleach it a little. don’t use agressive stuff because it will destroy the entire tree.
– I also made a version with a squirrel in the hexagon shaped jar, I thought it would be a nice effect. Don’t bother it’s not! the water already provides a little distortion.